728 x 90

Too expensive to maintain, hall comes down

img

One of the oldest buildings in town was torn down by Smigelski Contracting on July 6, 2021. Videos of the tear down of the Guy Hall were posted to “Opasquia Times” and “The Pas MB History” Facebook pages while local and former citizens shared their disbelief.
Many of those who commented mentioned memories of rummage and craft sales, going to the bowling alley, or first jobs as being a pin setter at the bowling alley, Wolf Cubs, Boy Scouts, Sea Scouts, Brownies and Girl Guides, basketball in the low ceiling basement, badminton, musical recitals and Christmas concerts, country star appearances, hypnotists, graduations, graduation dances, weddings and funeral receptions, school reunions, Halloween parties, the Hospital Auxiliary "Black & White Ball", bingos, socials and so many more memories in the building. The first Guy Hall burned down on January 18, 1951 and the rebuilding began that same summer.
Rumours circulated as to the reason for the tear down, but Archbishop Murray Chatlain, supplied a statement “This past February 13th, we had a water line break in the Guy Hall. The flooding was extensive and repairs would have been in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. At the same time, the age of the building, its size and the many maintenance needs meant that the Guy Hall had become very expensive to keep going. This led to the Parish to make the difficult decision to tear down the Guy Hall. It has been a significant part of the history and social life of The Pas. We are sad to see it go, but the significant water damage made the decision clear.”