728 x 90

Museum has fire scare Monday; shuts doors briefly

img

A fire call to the Sam Waller Museum Monday morning prompted a response from The Pas Fire Department.
The call came just after 10:30 a.m. and while no fire was reported, the issue forced the museum to be closed Monday.
According to Sam Waller Museum Director Sharain Jones, a motor in the northwest mechanical room burned out and began to smolder, giving off an odour of smoke. The fire department was contacted and the building was readied for evacuation as a precaution.
While the fire department did clear the building of an actual fire, several lights in public areas of the building were no longer working and as a result the facility was closed to the public for Monday. The heat was also no longer working in the building and as of Monday afternoon that issue had not yet been rectified according to Jones, however work was being done on the issue. A notice sent out late Monday by Jones noted the lights and heat were once again working and the museum had reopened to the public.
No injuries were reported and outside of the burned out motor no damages were reported either in the incident.

img
Trent Allen
EDITOR
img