728 x 90

Historic landmark building burns to the ground

img

What began as a small fire in a garbage stand turned into a roaring inferno, claiming a landmark building in The Pas in the process.
The Town Centre Hotel, perhaps best known locally as the Gateway, burned completely to the ground Friday morning despite the combined efforts of The Pas and Opaskwayak Cree Nation Fire Departments.
The fire began at around 2:30 a.m. in the rear of the building. The bar located inside the hotel as just closing for the night when people at the rear of the building noticed the fire and began pounding on a door, alerting those inside to the flames.
The building was evacuated and The Pas Fire Department (TPFD) did arrive and attempted to put out the blaze. The fire department remained on scene for over an hour; however eventually felt the fire had been extinguished. SEE PAGES 3 and 6 for the rest of the story.

img
Trent Allen
EDITOR
img